Yukon Liquor Corporation



Non-medical cannabis

Shop for cannabis at www.CannabisYukon.org 

Downloadable information:

Keep non-medical cannabis legal
Adults who are 19 years or older are able to:

  • Possess up to 30 g of legal dried cannabis or the equivalent on their person.
  • Share up to 30 g of legal cannabis with other adults in Canada.
  • Purchase cannabis products from a Yukon Liquor Corporation licensed retailer.
  • Grow up to four plants per household.

It is illegal to provide non-medical cannabis to anyone under the age of 19 and for anyone under the age of 19 to possess any amount of non-medical cannabis in Yukon.

It is illegal and dangerous to drive while under the influence of cannabis or other intoxicants.

Where will I be able to buy cannabis in Yukon?
The location of Yukon Liquor Corporation’s temporary retail cannabis store will be 120B Industrial Road.

The 1,500 square foot space fits the retail store requirements for size, zoning and proximity to the Yukon Liquor Corporation (YLC) warehouse. The retail location will open when cannabis legalization occurs.

We are also building an online store that will facilitate the sale of cannabis for delivery within Yukon.

It is YLC's goal to have both of these retail solutions operational when the federal government legalizes non-medical cannabis.

Will I be able to buy cannabis online?
The only legal online non-medical cannabis retailer that can deliver within Yukon will be the YLC’s online store, www.CannabisYukon.org. You will not be able to purchase from other online sites for delivery to a Yukon address.

Additional options may be available through private licences once regulations are complete.

Will there be private cannabis retail stores?
Yukon’s plan is to enable private retail stores to operate under a licensing regime after legalization. Regulations and policies are being developed to allow for private retail sales in the future.

Can I travel with cannabis?
Do not take cannabis products across the border, even if legal in the state or country you are traveling to.

When traveling within Canada, learn and follow the cannabis laws of the province or territory you are going to. If you use cannabis, purchase and consume it within the province or territory you are in.

For more information visit Cannabis and the border.

What is the difference between medical and non-medical cannabis?
Both medical and non-medical cannabis products may contain THC and/or CBD. Although medical and non-medial cannabis products are similar, retail staff at non-medical cannabis stores are not authorized to give medical advice.

If you require advice on using cannabis for medical reasons, please speak to your doctor or another medical professional.

How do I become a licensed cannabis retailer in Yukon?
The regulations and policies for private licences are being developed and we will release when complete. 

We expect to be ready to accept private retail applications in the Spring of 2019.

What kinds of products will I be able to buy?
YLC’s goal is to ensure an assortment of non-medical cannabis products will be available when legal.

The federal legislation only allows for certain cannabis products to be available in the first year. Some products that YLC expects to sell are:

  • whole flower
  • ground flower
  • pre-rolled cannabis
  • oil
  • oil capsules
  • seeds

YLC will not be selling cannabis seedlings but may do so in the future.

Finished edibles such as cookies will not be legal to sell at the time of legalization. For more information on what will be legal to buy please visit https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-medication/cannabis/about.html

Where is YLC getting the supply of cannabis?
YLC plans to have supply agreements with five to six licensed producers at legalization. All of the supply agreements are non-exclusive so licensed producers can be added as needed, including potential Yukon producers.

YLC has chosen to source licensed suppliers closest to market to keep shipping costs as low as possible while also ensuring a variety of brands and products are available. YLC currently has supply agreements with the following federally licensed producers:

  • Tilray/High Park
  • Canopy Growth/Tweed
  • Broken Coast
  • Whistler Cannabis Company
  • Aphria
  • Aurora
  • Canna Farms
  • Zenabis

YLC is working to secure other supply agreements with licensed producers in the coming weeks.

How do I apply to be a licensed producer of cannabis?
The federal government regulates the process for becoming a licensed cannabis producer. For more information on how to obtain a producer licence visit: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/medical-use-marijuana/licensed-producers/application-process-becoming-licensed-producer.html

How will YLC ensure only adults buy cannabis?
The legal age for purchasing non-medical cannabis in Yukon is 19. At the physical retail location, YLC will verify the age of anyone who appears to be under 30 at the entrance to the store prior to be being allowed into the sales area. The online retail website will have an age verification process at time of entering the site, at the time of sale, and at product delivery.

The departments of Justice, Education, Community Services and Health and Social Services, along with YLC are working on educational campaigns and training that aim to keep youth safe from cannabis.

What training will people have to take to sell non-medical cannabis? 
YLC is developing an online training certification course that is mandatory for cannabis retail staff and licensees. The intent is to ensure that retail staff are able to assist consumers in making informed and safe choices, and that they understand their responsibilities to their customers. The course will cover a number of topics including:

  • legislation and policy
  • how to tell if someone is intoxicated
  • what is cannabis and its properties
  • health risks associated with cannabis use
  • cannabis potency
  • rules for selling cannabis
  • acceptable identification
  • buying and transporting cannabis
  • when to refuse to sell cannabis

We will post a link to the course once it is available.